VALUATION Corp. provides copyright and allied rights valuation services in Moscow and other Russian regions
According to current Russian legislation (Federal Law No. 5351-I "On Copyright and Allied Rights" of July 9, 1993), the copyrightable works in Russian Federation include:
- literary works;
- computer programs;
- works of drama, musical drama and scenarios;
- choreographic works and pantomimes;
- audio-visual works (cinema, TV and video films, slide films, and other screen and TV works);
- works of decorative, applied and scenographic arts;
- works of architecture, town-planning and landscaping arts;
- photographic works and works produced by methods similar to photography;
- geographic, geological and other maps, plans, sketches and plastic works pertaining to geography, topography and other sciences;
- other works
Copyright valuation can be performed for various purposes, for example:
- closing of a buy-sell transaction;
- estimation of royalties payable for the right to use a piece of copyrighted work;
- assessment of damages caused by copyright infringement.
It should be noted that in case of copyright infringement the report of an independent valuer represents an official document of evidential significance and can be used in civil and criminal proceeding in Russia.
Documents and information required for copyright valuation:
- Copyright description specifying the author of the subject piece of work, copyright owner and date of creation.
- Information about the expenses associated with creation, support and advertising of the subject piece of work.
- Information about income received by the copyright owner from use of the subject piece of work.
- Availability of encumbrances or restrictions applicable to disposal of the subject piece of work.
- Relevant valid licensing agreements - if any.
- Information about relevant lawsuits and court rulings - if any.
The above list of documents and information is preliminary and may be reduced or expanded after the valuer’s detailed review of the valuation assignment, depending on the purpose of valuation and other specific details.
Should you have any questions regarding copyright valuation in Russia, please contact us.
© VALUATION Corp. All rights reserved.